As a professional artist and an exciting creativity facilitator Cheryl Jones Evans will ignite your exuberant, expressive creative self. She is a passionate well-seasoned leader with more than 28 years in all facets of the visual arts industry and 18 years of creativity facilitating. Cheryl holds a BA in Arts Management (UMASS) has been listed with Florida Department of Cultural Affairs as a presenter, the Creativity Coaching Association, the Florida Arts in Education Association, and the National Independent Artists Association. She served on the City of Casselberry Parks and Recreation Advisory Board as the Arts liaison and currently serves on the Leesburg Center for the Arts board as the director of Artistic Community Building. She actively facilitates The Central Florida Artist’s Way Group, has instructed classes at a small private college, conducts weekend creativity seminars, and regularly facilitates other spiritually based creative and art marketing classes with arts organizations all over the state of Florida.

Oh....and she actively, passionately, constantly CREATES!

http://www.cheryljonesevans.com/

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Am Not Going Crazy...I Am Going Sane!

I have a proud history of being called crazy in countless colorful ways.

I heard my children (under their breaths) after being disciplined say “She’s psycho!” My husband, on occasions exclaims, “Have you lost your mind?” There have been shoppers in my art festival tent that blatantly declare (out loud and in front of me) “Is she nuts? She wants how much for that picture?” And, from my students and creatives in class “She is berserk thinking I can do that!”

I have been referred to as McGoofy (the short version of one fry short of a happy meal), nutcase, bonkers, loony tunes, maniac, screw loose, loopy, whacko and a boatload of other colorful examples whose graphic vocabulary might get me thrown off my own blog site since I did not check adult content in the sign up box.

Embracing and trusting creativity feels like going insane at first. Breaking free of old conventional beliefs about creativity might bring on alternating emotional bouts of self-doubt then wild self-assurance or creative blocks then outrageous originality. These wild erratic thoughts look and feel like going insane but in reality, they indicate a marvelous artistic self-awareness and are one of the first magnificent symptoms of going sane.

Initially, we all have a difficult time understanding the difference between going crazy and going sane but it does not take long to realize that going sane requires creative courage, conviction and confidence.

So, I proudly announce to everyone that thinks otherwise, “I am not going crazy I am going sane!”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

of my gosh I want to print this out and put it on my office door or maybe i can tape it to my clothing I've become familiar with certain looks ~ not to me but to another "repressed creative non artist person" when they are forced into the uncomfortable space my chaotic, colorful world of imagination. I hear "Ohhh, she's an artist" and suddenly they regain their comfort zone and I get another pass on cleaning my art room. That identity serves me well at times. I need to step back into it.